About Bone Grafting
The Science of Regeneration: A Deep Dive into Bone Grafting
Many individuals may experience jaw bone loss for various reasons. It may be due to periodontal diseases, an injury, or tooth loss. This can lead to complications when placing dental implants, as the lack of sufficient bone may cause the implants to fail or not be stable enough to support teeth.
The problem of bone loss can be further aggravated by the natural process of bone resorption. This occurs when the jawbone no longer receives stimulation from teeth. It can result in a shrinking of the bone over time. This can cause difficulties in maintaining facial structure and function, such as chewing and speaking.
A bone graft from Karrinyup Dental Centre can help you regain the healthy bones you need. It will give you the ability and confidence to proceed with dental implant surgery or other necessary procedures. Bone grafting is a surgical procedure that involves using the patient’s own bone from elsewhere in their body to replace missing tissue. The dentists at our dental clinic can perform this procedure safely to help restore the volume and density of your jaw where you have lost bone mass.
The Building Blocks of a Healthy Smile: How Bone Grafting Can Strengthen Your Teeth
Don't Get a Bone Grafting Procedure
Until You Read This
Patients Planning Dental Implants
Those with Missing or Damaged Bone
Those with Gum Disease
Individuals with Denture Discomfort
Why Choose Karrinyup Dental Centre?
Personalised Treatment Plans
Years of Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
We offer a range of payment options to give our patients access to the high-quality care they need for their bones. Whether through health funds or financing plans, we have something that works for everyone.
We understand that cost can be a major factor in medical treatments. Let’s discuss your financial situation and find an option that will work for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
About Bone Grafting
Dental bone grafting is a safe and effective procedure. A graft taken from your own body is safe. Other bone substitutes, whether from a human donor or a nonhuman animal donor, present minimal risk of transmitting infectious disease. This is because they are thoroughly screened for safety.
If mineral graft materials are used, they will gradually be absorbed by your body, and your own bone tissue will replace them. According to a 2017 study, the success rates of the different bone graft procedures range from 66.06% to 96.6%, with blood derivatives having the highest success rate of 96.6%, followed by block grafts at 99.05%.
In general, the entire procedure of bone grafting takes between 45 minutes and 90 minutes. The length of a bone graft procedure will depend on the amount of bone that needs to be grafted and its location.
In addition, it will depend on whether other dental procedures, such as tooth extractions, need to be performed first.
You might need a bone graft for the following reasons:
- If you are going to replace your missing teeth with dental implants. For a strong enough implant base, bone grafting is often necessary.
- A dental bone graft may be necessary even if you are not receiving an implant to replace bone lost through tooth loss or gum disease. It is possible to prevent future bone loss and long-term health complications by stabilising the jaw with a bone graft.
- If bone loss has affected your appearance. Your facial appearance can be altered due to bone deterioration in the jaw. Without healthy jaw bone structure, the lips and muscles can look different. There can also be more wrinkles around the jawline.
Bone grafting in dentistry in Karrinyup is generally safe. The risks associated with dental bone grafting are minimal, but it’s important to remember that all surgical procedures carry some risk. Some of the common risks associated with a dental bone graft procedure include:
- An adverse reaction to anaesthesia
- Damage to the nerve
- Rejection of the bone graft
- Pain, inflammation, and swelling around the grafting site
- Excessive bleeding
Most patients report only mild discomfort during the procedure. Your dentist will numb the area with local anaesthetic before beginning and provide any necessary post-operative pain medications.
For most, the discomfort associated with bone grafting is minimal when compared to the benefits of restoring your jawbone structure.
On average, the price for a dental bone graft in Karrinyup is around $2,500 – $3,000. However, the cost may vary depending on the extent of the procedure and any additional treatments necessary. Visit Karrinyup Dental Centre for a more accurate estimate of the costs associated with bone grafting.
Preparing for bone grafting in dentistry in Karrinyup helps reduce the risk of infection and discomfort. Here are some tips:
- Brush and floss around the area the day before your appointment.
- Inform us about any medications you are taking before the procedure.
- Avoid eating or drinking for at least 4 hours before your appointment.
At Karrinyup Dental Centre, we prioritise patient satisfaction and safety above all else.
Generally, it takes 7 to 10 days to heal after a bone grafting procedure. During this time, you should avoid strenuous activities. We recommend that you eat soft foods for the first few days and drink plenty of fluids to promote healing.
Here are some aftercare tips to keep in mind:
- Avoid rinsing, spitting, or touching the bone graft area for the first 24 hours.
- Use the particular medication prescribed by your dentist to keep the wound clean and free from infection.
- Take all medications as instructed to promote healing of the grafted site.
- Be sure to brush and floss regularly around the grafting site.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol for at least 48 hours after the procedure.
- Apply an ice pack to the area if there is pain and swelling.
Contact your dentist immediately if there is increased pain, swelling, redness or discharge from the grafted area.
Bone grafting can be a costly procedure, and your health fund may not cover it. Check with your provider to determine what level of cover you are entitled to for dental bone grafting in Karrinyup.
We understand that the cost of bone grafting is expensive. We will work hard to provide you with a cost-effective treatment. We offer financing options and payment plans that can help make the procedure more affordable.